Passport Application Information

U.S. Passports for Students

On this page you will find helpful information about applying for a U.S. passport. This page is intended for Kalamazoo College students and may not be relevant to all other applicants. The most accurate and complete information about applying for a U.S. passport can be found at the U.S. State Department website. Please refer to the site for additional details about the application process. 

Helpful Application Information

New application or renewal? 

Even if you have had a passport before, if it was issued before you were age 16, you will need to apply for a “new” passport rather than submit a renewal. This means that nearly all college students will follow the same process outlined below, whether you have had a passport before or not. 

What do I need to apply? 

A DS-11

  • We recommend using the online form filler tool because it walks you through each step of the form.  
  • If you complete the digital form – print 1-sided, do not sign yet 
  • If you complete the DS-11 by hand – use black ink only, write clearly, do not sign yet 
  • Most students select a Passport Book (only) and Regular size 
  • If you do not know all the information about your parents (Question 10), do your best, and write “unknown” for anything you do not know 
  • Under Travel Plans (Question 18), it is fine to write n/a. This question is mainly for people who have imminent travel plans and need their application processed quickly. 

A 2×2 passport-style photo 

  • We can take your photo and print it for free at the CIP. Stop in the CIP any time or email us to set up an appointment. 
  • You can also have professional photos taken at certain stores like Walgreens. These usually cost about $15. 
  • We do not recommend taking your own photo because there are very specific formatting requirements. 

Proof of Citizenship 

  • Generally, either an old passport or your original birth certificate.  
  • Also make a photocopy of this document. We can help make copies at the CIP. 
  • See more information about accepted documents at the site linked above. 

Proof of Identity 

  • Generally, a state ID like a driver’s license.  
  • If you are applying in Michigan and your ID is from a different state, you will also want to provide your K College ID.  
  • Also make a photocopy of this document. We can help make copies at the CIP. 
  • See more information about accepted documents at the site

How do I submit the application?     

  • Once you have all of your documents ready, you will take them to a US post office. You can make an appointment at a post office.  
  • At your appointment, they will check through your documents and have you sign the DS-11 in front of the receiving agent.  

How much does it cost? 

  • A regular passport book currently costs $130. This fee must be paid by check made out to the “U.S. Department of State”. 
  • You will also pay the processing facility (typically the US post office) a $35 fee. 
  • If you don’t have a checkbook, the post office can write a check for you, for a small fee. 
  • Kalamazoo College students with financial need (based on your FAFSA) can qualify for the CIP to pay your passport application fees. Please complete the form to see if you qualify. 

When should I apply for my passport? 

  • In general, as early as possible! 
  • If you are considering studying abroad, your passport must be valid for AT LEAST 6 months after the end of your program. That means if your program runs September 2023 – January 2024, your passport must be valid through at least July 2024. If you have an old passport and you are unsure whether you need to get a new one, please email the CIP and we can advise you. 
  • In order to apply for study abroad, you must have either a valid passport or a receipt proving you have applied for a new passport. We cannot process your study abroad application until you have at least applied for a passport.  
  • Processing times vary, but generally expect your new passport to take 2-3 months to arrive. 

Need Funding?

Passport Funding Form

Please Login to use this form.


Any questions for us? CIP staff are happy to talk through the passport application process or answer any questions you may have. Feel free to email the CIP us or stop in the CIP office!